BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC incremental job hangs

2013-09-04 05:06:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC incremental job hangs
From: Yann Bordenave <yann.bordenave AT smartjog DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:04:31 +0200
On 09/03, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Yann Bordenave
> <yann.bordenave AT smartjog DOT com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I scheduled a backup with backuppc for my servers.
> > I use rsyncd for the transfer.
> >
> > It works like a charm, except for one server: when I start an
> > incremental backup, the backuppc job hangs.
> >
> > On the web interface, I can see on my server page that 'backup is in
> > progress' but on my server, rsyncd says that the connection timed out.
> > The process on the backuppc machine is still alive but does nothing.
> > I have nothing in the backuppc logs so it is hard to investigate.
> >
> > Do you have any insights about this issue ?
>
> If the target is windows, a likely issue is that you have a virus
> scanner doing 'on-access' scanning and slowing the process down.   On
> linux, a possible but rare problem could be that you have 'sparse'
> files used as databases that become very large when expanded for
> copying.

I have some updates: the full backup is passing.
The full process is taking about an hour and a half and I set a timeout
of 20 hours.
The 'sparse' problem could occur while doing a full backup ?
Because apparently, only the incremental one is hanging.
My target is a linux.

If it can help, here is the logs from the rsyncd of my target:

2013/09/04 08:00:23 [32503] connect from backupserver (IP addr)
2013/09/04 08:00:23 [32503] rsync on . from backupserver (IP addr)
2013/09/04 08:00:23 [32503] building file list
2013/09/04 08:42:08 [32503] rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4
bytes to socket [sender]: Connection timed out (110)
2013/09/04 08:42:08 [32503] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data
stream (code 12) at io.c(1532) [sender=3.0.9]

and as I said before, the process on backuppc is still alive.

Thanks for your insights.

Yann Bordenave - Intern, R&E Infrastructure
Smartjog S.A.S. - http://www.smartjog.com - Groupe TDF
27 Bd Hippolyte Marques, 94200 Ivry sur Seine, France
Cell  : +33.6.68.86.81.61