BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.1, changing Xfer method from rsync to rsyncd makes browsing new backups impossible

2013-08-05 02:34:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.1, changing Xfer method from rsync to rsyncd makes browsing new backups impossible
From: johan.bostrom AT insitu DOT se
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 08:32:32 +0200

From:        Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To:        "General list for user discussion,        questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date:        2013-08-02 17:53

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 4:28 AM,  <johan.bostrom AT insitu DOT se> wrote:

> we have a couple of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Debian 7.1 servers being backed up
> by BackupPC 3.2.1 running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> The backups were taking a long time to finish, even after the initial one or
> two full backups.
> Part of this is due to old 10/100 Mbit switches that are being replaced.
> But after searching the internets for a while, I came to the conclusion that
> it is an issue with running rsync over ssh,
> in combination with the type of data we're backing up.
>
> So I changed the Xfer method to running rsyncd on the clients and saw
> significant speed improvments.
> Since rsyncd uses modules, whose names can not contain forward slashes, the
> RsyncShareName array had to be changed.
> "/bin" was changed to "bin".
> "/etc" -> "etc"
> and so on.
>
> This had the unfortunate effect of disabling the ability of browsing, using
> the web interface, of any backup that had been performed with the rsyncd
> method.
> The files are there in the file directory, they just aren't accessible when
> browsing client backups.
> I'm just presented with the message:
> "Error: Can't browse bad directory name /"

Not sure, but I thought the rsyncd module names would show up below
the listing of the old / directory with a leading + to open them.
Did you scroll down far enough that you would have seen them?

Wiki:
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net
Project:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Thanks Les,

I see that some of the clients/hosts have the new rsyncd modules listed, but they're the ones which have had the old non-rsyncd configured backups trashed by backuppc.
I'm considering Rob's suggestion for our Domino server which is set to keep backups for much longer than the others, but I may leave the rest alone and just let backuppc remove the old backups in its own pace.

Thank you both for your replies.

Best regards

Johan Boström