BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.1, changing Xfer method from rsync to rsyncd makes browsing new backups impossible

2013-08-05 02:25:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.2.1, changing Xfer method from rsync to rsyncd makes browsing new backups impossible
From: johan.bostrom AT insitu DOT se
To: rowens AT ptd DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 08:23:42 +0200

From:        Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To:        "General list for user discussion,        questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date:        2013-08-02 16:12

----- Original Message -----
> From: "johan bostrom" <johan.bostrom AT insitu DOT se>
>
> Hi,
>
> we have a couple of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Debian 7.1 servers being
> backed up by BackupPC 3.2.1 running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> The backups were taking a long time to finish, even after the initial
> one or two full backups.
> Part of this is due to old 10/100 Mbit switches that are being
> replaced.
> But after searching the internets for a while, I came to the
> conclusion that it is an issue with running rsync over ssh,
> in combination with the type of data we're backing up.
>
> So I changed the Xfer method to running rsyncd on the clients and saw
> significant speed improvments.
> Since rsyncd uses modules, whose names can not contain forward
> slashes, the RsyncShareName array had to be changed.
> "/bin" was changed to "bin".
> "/etc" -> "etc"
> and so on.
>
> This had the unfortunate effect of disabling the ability of browsing,
> using the web interface, of any backup that had been performed with
> the rsyncd method.
> The files are there in the file directory, they just aren't
> accessible when browsing client backups.
> I'm just presented with the message:
> "Error: Can't browse bad directory name /"
>
> So how can I fix this? Should I just wait for the old backups to be
> trashed?
> Delete the client from BackupPC, then add it again after purging
> everything associated with the old client?
>
> Obviously I'd like there to be an easy way out of this quagmire, the
> "delete client from backuppc" solution is obviously the last option
> here.

You could put the config back the way it was, then disable backups for this host.  Then create a new host, with an alias to the original host, and configure that to use rsyncd.  You'd end up with two hosts entries for each physical server, but after a period of time you can delete the old one (once you no longer need its backups to be available).

-Rob

Wiki:
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net
Project:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the suggestion Rob, it sounds like what I want.
I will give it a shot!

Best regards

Johan Boström