BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Challenges with backups

2013-07-02 11:21:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Challenges with backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:20:17 -0500
On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:50 AM, Gregory Malsack <gmalsack AT coastalacq DOT
com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've become somewhat frustrated with BackupPC as it's not maintaining a valid
> set of backups, and I guess I'm not clear where to start. So I am coming to
> you for some assistance. Attached are various portions of data that should
> provide you with a very clear view of what I am attempting to accomplish.
>
> If you would be so kind, please review the information and respond with your
> thoughts/questions...

Is the backup that fails a windows or linux host and what errors do
you see when if fails?  I don't see a partial - has it done anything
at all?    I can't see anything obviously wrong in the files you
attached other than raid 5 being somewhat slow at writes.   I suspect
you'd be better off cutting concurrency (MaxBackups) down to 2 or 3.
As Ray mentioned, rsync has issues with huge numbers of files since it
sends the entire directory tree first and holds it in RAM at both ends
while they walk the list checking/sending difference.   Is either the
server or the target actively swapping?    There is also always the
possibility of filesystem corruption on the target system causing
problems in reading the data.