BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store

2013-04-24 01:29:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:28:09 +1000
On 24/04/13 14:56, backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote:
>  > >> On 22/04/13 06:46, John Habermann wrote:
>  > >> > Hi
>  > >> > I have an exchange 2003 server which I have set up in backuppc
>  > >> > using Michael's backuppc rsync based client scripts
>  > >> > http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ and it appears to be working
>  > >> > fine with the exception that the mail store .edb and .stm files are
>  > >> > only being backed up when a Full Backup Job runs.
>  > >> >
>  > >> > I am assuming this is because the date modified file size of these
>  > >> > files is not changing as I have about 15 GB or so of space
>  > >> > available in in the priv1 mailbox store so its size is not
>  > >> > increasing with current day to day usage.
>
> Why wouldn't the file modification flag be set if the files are
> modified?
> Or is this a brain-dead "feature" of NTFS or MSFT Exchange?
>
> On *nix filesystems, one needs to work "extra-hard" to change a file without
> changing its mod time -- indeed, this is presumably the entire purpose
> of the mod time -- to know when files were last modified...
Very true, I was really thinking of atime which is commonly disabled (on
unix systems using the mount option noatime for example). However, I
suspect in this case, exchange treats the "file" like a database, and
almost like a filesystem itself. Therefore it is perfectly possible that
it has a method to disable mtime updates as well (I wonder, does a file
containing a FS which is mounted (/dev/loop0), and written to, update
the mtime of the file?).

Anyway, I think there have been a number of good options so far:
1) Use touch from a scheduled task (cron) to update the date/time on a
regular basis
2) Use touch from backuppc as a pre-backup job
3) Use --checksum for rsync to force it to ignore the date/time and
size, and backup based on contents

Regards,
Adam

--