BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store

2013-04-22 11:20:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 01:18:07 +1000
On 22/04/13 06:46, John Habermann wrote:
> Hi
> I have an exchange 2003 server which I have set up in backuppc using
> Michael's backuppc rsync based client scripts
> http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ and it appears to be working fine
> with the exception that the mail store .edb and .stm files are only
> being backed up when a Full Backup Job runs.
>
> I am assuming this is because the date modified file size of these
> files is not changing as I have about 15 GB or so of space available in
> in the priv1 mailbox store so its size is not increasing with current
> day to day usage. I have checksum caching enabled so was wondering
> if disabling that would result in changes in these files getting
> detected.
> Does anyone know if it is possible to get rsync to backup these sort
> files in an incremental backup or do I need to set this server to have
> a full backup run every time (or create a specific backuppc client
> alias just for the exchange store that runs full backups only)?
Add --checksum to your RsyncArgs which tells rsync to compare using the
checksum instead of modification time and file size.

PS, this is basically the same as doing a full backup with rsync anyway,
so you might find that easier.

PPS, another option might be to exclude this file/drive from the backup
of this host, and then setup another "host" which will *only* backup
this drive/file using the --checksum option. That would allow quicker
incremental backups for all other files which ensuring a full backup of
this file every time.

Regards,
Adam

--