BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.3.0 released

2013-04-18 17:43:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.3.0 released
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:41:44 -0400
Craig Barratt wrote at about 11:16:31 -0700 on Thursday, April 18, 2013:
 > Adam,
 >
 > Let me look at the email archives to understand this issue better.
 >
 > I'm happy for other capable developers to contribute to BackupPC, including
 > adding commit and release privileges.  But they have to be very good.

I agree -- I wouldn't want to degrade the quality of the code nor
clutter it up with poorly planned or inconsistent extensions (btw, I
don't consider myself a good production coder though I have certainly
written plenty of utility code)

 > As of ~2.5 years ago I was at least 80% of the way along developing 4.0,
 > but unfortunately work got extremely busy (I must say that public company
 > acquisitions are quite time consuming - see for example
 > http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_03/b4211036884342.htm).  I
 > left my job a few weeks ago to take some time off, but I will probably end
 > up doing something new in the next few months, which probably means there
 > won't be enough time to finish 4.0.

Wow - sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into version
4.0. It would be a shame for all that to go to waste...

 > Craig

If 4.0 is not to be, one extension that would be very helpful to 3.x
would be for resumption of partial backups to include the last
partially backed up file. As files grow in size, it seems that many
times people get repeatedly stuck on the same large file each time
either due to timeouts or other issues resulting in the backup never
completing. This has been reported multiple times on the list. Native
rsync certainly allows this (--partial) but it may not be implemented
in File-rsyncP. How hard would it be to implement this functionality
in File-rsyncP and BackupPC?