BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] shadowmountrsync

2013-02-13 18:07:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] shadowmountrsync
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:05:02 -0500
Shawn T Perry wrote at about 09:27:39 -0700 on Wednesday, February 6, 2013:
> I've followed all the instructions here (
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=User_Scripts_-_Client_-_Windows_VSS),
> and when I don't have the script use VSS, it works fine.  However, when I
> turn it on, it sets up everything, but the ssh link doesn't let go,
> allowing backuppc to continue.  What do I need to provide to get some help
> getting this to work?

Well, it's a bit hard to diagnose given your very generic description
of "ssh link doesn't let go" -- especially since 'ssh link doesn't let
go' is an effect rather than a cause. Unless you have something broken
with ssh, the what you call "link" (actually the shadowmountrsync
command script passed over ssh) will "let go" as soon as the script
terminates. So, we need to figure out why the script is not
terminating.

Of course, it would helpful if you provide an actual log (with
debugging turned on) for what shadowmountrsync is doing and where it
presumably hangs... that is *why* I wrote the logging -- precisely to
be able to pinpoint failure points. I mean would you expect an auto
mechanic to diagnose your car troubles automatically just by telling
him my "wheel turning things are not moving"

That being said, if it works without vss, then presumably the problem
is that vss does not return after setting up the shadows. Though of
course without a log it's impossible to know how far VSS proceeds or
even if it is the real culprit or whether it is something before
(e.g., the 'at' bootstrap) or after (launching rsyncd) that causes the
failure. Did I mention a *log* output would be helpful?

The problem may very well be with your version of vss since Microsoft
in its cleverness includes different functionality and api/command
line interface with almost each different version of MS Windows.  So,
you may need to modify how vss is called from the script (e.g., the
command line parameters) to ensure that vss returns control after
setting up the vshadow mounts. It could also be a problem with
'dosdev' which is another non-documented and barely supported MS tool
for assigning shadow mounts to drive letters which is required for
some but not all versions of vshadow in order to get user accessible
shadow drives...

Did I mention a *log* output would be HELPFUL?