BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..

2013-02-02 05:28:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..
From: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 05:27:00 -0500
Well, I guess it is SOLVED...

I didn't change how the service was running.  Since I couldn't see any differences in the directories or privileges I decided to try something else.  I went to the rsyncd.conf file on the client and setup three shares that match the directories I was trying to backup.  I realize this could mean that (especially the user directory) might restore to the wrong place, that is ok, as long as I can get to the backup.

It worked PERFECT.  Ran right through the three shares and backed them up.  Not exactly sure why it wasn't working the other way.  For this one client, I don't mind having the extra step of creating the shares, it is not something that is going to change.

Thanks!  And thanks for the confirmation on the rsyncd user/pass meaning nothing, I figured it was a doesn't matter, but wasn't sure, that is why I matched it to my ID on the system just in case it was slipping through somehow.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:

> So, it looks like rsyncd is running as:
>   Local System account
>
> I guess I could switch that to run as my domain account on the machine.
>  Just not sure if I should use all commands from cygwin shell to kill this
> one and start another or just change it from the windows gui (IF NEEDED)..

You have a few alternatives, which involve matching up the user that
rsync[d] is running as to the permissions on the directories you'd like to
synchronize.  The Local System account usually doesn't have access to
domain directories, but they can be granted; alternatively, you can run
rsyncd as a domain user.

> I compared the directories and the properties and they all look the same
> (well, my user directory was slightly different, but expected).  It ran an
> incremental last night and I changed what "user" I was passing over in the
> rsyncd setup (and changed the conf to reflect that user) and it looks like
> it did the exact same thing, as in only looked at the one directory.

To clarify:  the rsyncd user -- the one in rsyncd.conf -- does not
actually relate to anything in any way except allowing connections to
rsync.  It's not a cygwin, Windows, or domain user.  Although it can be
named the same, you can easily just use "hoobydooby" and everything will
work the same.

> Being my work machine, my ID is from the domain and while I they give us
> admin privileges, there are still some things we can't do, like add a
> local user.  The ID I used this time was my domain ID in the rsyncd setup
> to try to see if it was an issue with that.

As above, you need to run rsyncd as the domain user; the user in
rsyncd.conf is inherently meaningless.

> Also, changed the log level on the client and the log looks exactly the
> same. Actually the log files look pretty clean.  It is really like it is
> almost not even trying to do the other two directories.

From the description, it's likely that this is the case, as the local
system user wouldn't even be able to traverse the directories without
permission.