BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..

2013-02-01 10:00:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..
From: Travis Schwenke <travis.schwenke AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:58:51 -0500
So, it looks like rsyncd is running as:
  Local System account

I guess I could switch that to run as my domain account on the machine.  Just not sure if I should use all commands from cygwin shell to kill this one and start another or just change it from the windows gui (IF NEEDED)..

I compared the directories and the properties and they all look the same (well, my user directory was slightly different, but expected).  It ran an incremental last night and I changed what "user" I was passing over in the rsyncd setup (and changed the conf to reflect that user) and it looks like it did the exact same thing, as in only looked at the one directory.

Being my work machine, my ID is from the domain and while I they give us admin privileges, there are still some things we can't do, like add a local user.  The ID I used this time was my domain ID in the rsyncd setup to try to see if it was an issue with that.

Also, changed the log level on the client and the log looks exactly the same. Actually the log files look pretty clean.  It is really like it is almost not even trying to do the other two directories.

Thanks
Travis Schwenke
Once again confused.. but learning... :)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:

> So, my goal was going to be rsync on all machines, I seem to have that
> working fine now on my windows machines, but my work laptop is part of a
> domain so I figured I would try rsyncd and learn how it worked in the
> process.  It is trying to backup, but it is not following my rules
> correctly.  It is only grabbing one of my directories and I am not sure
> why!
> It is only getting the /eng_apps area and not the other two, this was
> working fine with smb.
>

> Start of the LOG file
>
> full backup started for directory root (baseline backup #12)
>
> Connected to machine:873, remote version 30
>
> Negotiated protocol version 28
>
> Connected to module root
>
> Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D
> --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times
> .
> .
>
> Sent include: /users
>
> Sent include: /users/wzpcnt
>
> Sent include: /data
>
> Sent include: /eng_apps
>
> Sent exclude: /*
>
> Sent exclude: /users/*
>

> Rsyncd.conf on machine in c:\cygwin\etc
>
> gid = users
>
> read _only_ = true
>
> use chroot = false
>
> transfer logging = false
>
> log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
>
> log format = %h %o %f %l %b
>
> hosts allow = x.x.x.x
>
> hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
>
> strict modes = false
>
> [root]
>
> path = /cygdrive/c/
>
> auth users = backuppc
>
> secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secret
>

> machine.pl (I did everything via the CGI I see some smb settings are still
> in the file, I omitted them this paste, I hope they are not causing the
> issue)
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesOnly} = {
>
>   '*' => [
>
>     '/users/me',
>
>     '/data',
>
>     '/eng_apps'
>
>   ]
>
> };
>
> $Conf{ClientCharset} = 'cp1252';
>
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
>
>   'root'
>
> ];
>
> $Conf{RsyncdPasswd} = 'xxx';
>
> $Conf{RsyncdUserName} = 'backuppc';
>
> $Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsyncd';
>

> So why is it only getting ONE of the directories I specified?

Under which user account is rsyncd running?  My first guess would be that
it is a permission problem.

It may be enlightening to turn transfer logging on.