BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..

2013-02-01 10:09:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd cygwin Problem..
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:08:18 -0600
> So, it looks like rsyncd is running as:
>   Local System account
>
> I guess I could switch that to run as my domain account on the machine.
>  Just not sure if I should use all commands from cygwin shell to kill this
> one and start another or just change it from the windows gui (IF NEEDED)..

You have a few alternatives, which involve matching up the user that
rsync[d] is running as to the permissions on the directories you'd like to
synchronize.  The Local System account usually doesn't have access to
domain directories, but they can be granted; alternatively, you can run
rsyncd as a domain user.

> I compared the directories and the properties and they all look the same
> (well, my user directory was slightly different, but expected).  It ran an
> incremental last night and I changed what "user" I was passing over in the
> rsyncd setup (and changed the conf to reflect that user) and it looks like
> it did the exact same thing, as in only looked at the one directory.

To clarify:  the rsyncd user -- the one in rsyncd.conf -- does not
actually relate to anything in any way except allowing connections to
rsync.  It's not a cygwin, Windows, or domain user.  Although it can be
named the same, you can easily just use "hoobydooby" and everything will
work the same.

> Being my work machine, my ID is from the domain and while I they give us
> admin privileges, there are still some things we can't do, like add a
> local user.  The ID I used this time was my domain ID in the rsyncd setup
> to try to see if it was an issue with that.

As above, you need to run rsyncd as the domain user; the user in
rsyncd.conf is inherently meaningless.

> Also, changed the log level on the client and the log looks exactly the
> same. Actually the log files look pretty clean.  It is really like it is
> almost not even trying to do the other two directories.

>>From the description, it's likely that this is the case, as the local
system user wouldn't even be able to traverse the directories without
permission.