BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore completes but doesn't end

2013-01-15 07:16:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore completes but doesn't end
From: backuppc AT sundquist.imapmail DOT org
To: " General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:15:28 -0500
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:15 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
On 15/01/13 13:13, backuppc AT sundquist.imapmail DOT org wrote:
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 10:38 PM,Adam Goryachev <mailinglists <at>
websitemanagers.com.au> wrote:

Here's the tail end of ps axf:

9397 ?        S      0:49 /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC -d
9403 ?        S      3:45  \_ /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_trashClean
24076 ?        S      0:11  \_ /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_restore temp temp restoreReq.24065.0
root@eeebox:/#

and the strace:

root@eeebox:/# strace -p 24076
Process 24076 attached - interrupt to quit
select(8, [5], NULL, [5], NULL

Yes, I use rsyncd for the backup and restore protocol for both my linux
and windows boxes (use cygwin rsyncd as a service on the windows boxes).

OK, so that is the right process, and it tells us that it is waiting for
something to happen. Is the remote box a windows machine (I think it was
but I forget now)? I've had this exact issue with windows rsyncd before
when doing backups more than restores, and for me, the solution was one
or more of:
1) Upgrade to the newest version of rsync
2) Upgrade to the newest version of ssh and use rsync over ssh or rsyncd
over ssh

I'm not sure what else I did, but now I use the vss/rsync method which
mostly/usually works....

Actually, these are both linux boxes.  The backuppc box is running squeeze (stable).  But the new machine (temp) is running wheezy (testing).  I will try an apt-get dist-upgrade and see if it works.  however, I am leaving now for a 2-day business trip, so it won't be until Thursday that I can check.

JS