BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes

2012-10-15 10:42:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes
From: Frédéric Massot <frederic AT juliana-multimedia DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:40:30 +0200
Le 15/10/2012 15:32, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom a écrit :
> On 10/14 06:30 , Frederic MASSOT wrote:
>> I started copying Backuppc data from "/var/lib/backuppc" (ext4) to the
>> temporary directory "/mnt/backuppc-new" (xfs) with the command "cp -a".
>
> Due to the hardlinks, the only way to copy the backuppc data pool from one
> set of disks to another at anything like the expected speeds, is to use 'dd'
> and copy the whole filesystem.
>
> So unmount your old and new filesystems, then dd your old partition to your
> new partition, then grow your filesystem to fit the new partition.

Hi,

The problem is that the original file system (ext4) has no inode
available and increasing the size of an ext4 file system does not
increase the number of the inode. To have no more inode problem the new
filesystem is xfs, so I can not copy data with dd.

> As Les said tho, it's usually easiest to just leave the old data in place
> tho, and build a new set of backups on the new disks.

I stopped copying, deleted the two logical volumes and created a large
logical volume that is formatted to xfs for backuppc. I keep four old
drives for possible recoveries...  :o)

Regards.
|              FRÉDÉRIC MASSOT               |
|     http://www.juliana-multimedia.com      |
|   mailto:frederic AT juliana-multimedia DOT com   |
| +33.(0)2.97.54.77.94  +33.(0)6.67.19.95.69 |