BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes

2012-10-07 17:58:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 16:56:59 -0500
> The file system has the option "resize_inode" is that it can help to
> increase the size or number of inode?

resize_inode is a flag you can set when you first create the filesystem,
that makes it easier to expand the file system later.  Again, "when you
first create..." so ... no.

> So I must create a second logical volume, format it with a smaller
> inode_ratio as 4096, and copy the Backuppc data. After, I could format
> the old logical volume for re-use.

I'm not following you, but to be clear:  you're not getting any more
inodes in that filesystem.  You need a new filesystem.

> So, I'll replace the disk one by one by disks of 1TB
>
> For RAID10 with MD I have two choices, I can increase the size of
> partitions for each disk and therefore the array, or create a second
> partition on each disk and a second array in RAID 10.
>
> Is I can increase the size of an RAID 10 array ? Manpage only talks
> about RAID 1/4/5/6.

There's a good reason for that.  It's RAID0+1, so it behaves like 0 on top
of 1 (or 1E, in some cases.)  At any rate, you should be able to expand it
using pairs of identical drives, as I recall.  YMMV.

I'm not even going to ask why you're going with RAID10 and ext4, but
neither of these would be high on my list.

> Backuppc uses hard links which are restricted to a file system. I do not
> know between what directory are hard links.
>
> Is I can mount the "cpool" directory on a logical volume and the "pc"
> directory on another?

No.