BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes

2012-10-23 04:27:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] No more free inodes
From: Frédéric Massot <frederic AT juliana-multimedia DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:23:11 +0200
Le 15/10/2012 17:05, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Frédéric Massot
> <frederic AT juliana-multimedia DOT com>  wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that the original file system (ext4) has no inode
>> available and increasing the size of an ext4 file system does not
>> increase the number of the inode. To have no more inode problem the new
>> filesystem is xfs, so I can not copy data with dd.
>
> Just curious: does the content you back up consist mostly of tiny
> files without much duplication?   It seems odd to run out of inodes
> while still having substantial disk space.

I used the command "df -i" on different servers to see those who ate a
lot of inode, and it seems that it is the web server with Apache cache
enabled.

Is that one inode is used by one directory?

I'll use the "-t" option of htcacheclean to remove empty directory, and
see if it makes a difference.

On a web server most affected:

$ df -h
/dev/vda1              92G   52G   36G  60% /

$ df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/vda1            6111232 4391859 1719373   72% /

And the folder "/var/cache/apache2/mod_disk_cache" contains 2956954
directories to 13 GB. The limit of the total disk cache size (-l option)
is 300 MB ?!

Regards.
|              FRÉDÉRIC MASSOT               |
|     http://www.juliana-multimedia.com      |
|   mailto:frederic AT juliana-multimedia DOT com   |
| +33.(0)2.97.54.77.94  +33.(0)6.67.19.95.69 |