BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds

2012-09-18 11:12:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:07:18 -0400
John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote on 09/17/2012 02:33:34 PM:

> I have another system that is lower power:
>
>   2632652.8 MB at 662.5 minutes or 66MB/s

That's 2.6TB in 11 hours.  That is perfectly acceptable for me.  And *way* better than I'm getting.

> the BackupPC system is a 4 core system with Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm)
> Processor 2216 (2412.400 MHz).

So 2 CPU sockets, each of which is a dual-core processor?

> 16GB of memory with 4x1TB disks. Raid 5
> running 3ware raid card with BBU cache.

So a single block device presented to the OS?

> For the majority of the time
> that backup runs, there are only 3 or so other jobs runing at the same
> time.

OK.

What about checksum caching and compression?

Thank you *very* much for this information.  Your 24-core 48GB monster is just too far away from what I've got to be a useful comparison.  But this one, while quite a bit bigger, is at least *somewhat* comparable.  And you're getting four times the performance, which is what I would have estimated that my box was capable of doing, but is not.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com