BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump syntax

2012-07-09 11:29:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_dump syntax
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:28:16 +0000
On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:48:07AM -0500, Bryan Keadle (.net) wrote:
> The BackupPC_dump syntax shows to be:
> usage: /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump [-d] [-e] [-f] [-i] [-F] [-I]
> [-v]
>
> But I could not find where these options are defined.

Read the top of the file for the details on what the flags do.

> Also, does this command actually *DO* the backup, or is it just producing a
> list of files to be backed up?

It actually does the dump.

> I'm still trying to get the
> BackupFilesExclude to work as expected and currently the way I've been
> testing is to initiate a backup of the client to see the results.  However,
> if I can just produce a list of files that would be backed up to see the
> results of the BackupFilesExclude, that would be more efficient.

Running BackupPC_dump with the -v option I think prints each file on
stdout or stderr so you can interrupt it as soon as it starts backing
up something you don't want. Not quite as good as just getting a
listing but it may reduce your cycle time a little.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111