BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages

2012-07-05 08:15:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages
From: jonas <jonas AT freesources DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:12:57 +0200
Hello,

recently we were forced to re-setup a large BackupPC-server with up to
150 clients and 5.0TB (12 disks in RAID10). This was several weeks ago.

Unfortunately the server has problems keeping up with the backups since
then. (see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29433950) Even
after enabling rsync checksum caching and playing around with raising or
lowering MaxBackups, MaxPendingCmds, the server doesn't scale as
expected. And just for the record: before the re-setup, it managed the
same amount of backups and the same hosts.

Now while comparing BackupPC logs to another big BackupPC-server on our
side, I recognized that BackupPC-Link takes ages for every backupped
host on the new server, while it's incredibly fast on the other BackupPC
server.

Even for hosts with several 100GB of data, BackupPC_Link takes only few
minutes on the old BackupPC server. On the new (re-setup) one, it takes
several hours up to days for backupped hosts.

Do you have any idea or suggestions why BackupPC_Link takes that long
and how we can change it?

Best regards,
  jonas