BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages

2012-07-07 12:00:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 16:58:34 +0100
Hi

> But on this topic, my new server seems slow, with only a 3-4 MB/s speed
> rating on a GB network (Windows backup over SMB).  Is this normal?  What
> kind of speeds should I be expecting?

        smb can be VERY slow with many small files, totally killing
its average speed.

        Try testing with a smb with just a few very big files to
check the speed.

        You may also need some optimization, in a GB network is
recommended to enable jumbo frames... and samba might need the
some tuned up linux settings:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
deadtime = 15

        add the IPTOS_LOWDELAY if you have many small files, it decrease
delay (helps on the small files), but also decrease throughput, so (bad
for the big ones)

Good luck
higuta
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a