BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Offsite copy

2012-06-26 19:04:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Offsite copy
From: shorvath <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 16:02:57 -0700
Hi Timothy,

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately however I think you're missing my point.
I very much like the way Backuppc handles backup, dedupe etc. and to use this
on the local site to handle the backups of each individual client would be
preferred,  plus it gives the client an interface to browse backups and do
restores. (One of the main reasons I want to use it)
However for remote backups (eg offsite) I want to be able to have and rsync
style "snapshot" of the most recent backup.
I do not want to have to pull backups from my remote site to each individual
server for this purpose because
A) I'm already backing them up from the local site backup server and I don't
want to back them up twice (more io/cpu and it'll take longer) These servers
are production and heavily used with a lot of daily changes.
Keep in mind that the backup server is used just for backups so it can spend
the whole day getting thrashed for all I care.
and to be honest that just seems silly and more  than a solution.
B) I don't like having multiple entry points .....  actually no other points
are needed. Point A is enough reason not to do it.
I already achieve my needs currently by simply using rsync for both local and
remote but as mentioned earlier I want a more elegant solution and I like
backuppc and how it handles the local backups.
If there is no way of exposing the latest  backup of each host from the
backuppc server either via a fuse module (that works) or other means then my
solution to either stick to my current solution. eg rsync but spend some time
refining it.
or
use something like rdiff-backup or rsnapshot.
rdiff-backup will allow me to see the most recent "snapshot" but has it's
caveats/pitfalls/complexities.
Rsnapshot will do everything I need but maybe not the most efficient on space.
Of course there are other...
Bandwidth, not a problem, I can limit/shape that several ways.