BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Offsite copy

2012-06-26 15:13:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Offsite copy
From: Carl Cravens <ccravens AT excelii DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:55:18 -0500
I manage my offsite disaster-recovery backup (which is rsync'd over the net) by:

+ Creating a directory of links that point only to the most recent full and
incremental for each host.  (Incrementals always go against the last full.)
+ rsync each host directory individually.  This breaks dedupe between hosts,
but it's a compromise against rsync not handling the huge file list well.
+ Makes a tarball of the current backuppc config and copies it to the offsite,
so there's always copy of the config "in the clear", with documentation on how
to bring backuppc up on the remote box.

So my offsite backup always contains the most recent backup image.  It's not a
"drop in place" snapshot, but it's up to date and contains all the information
necessary to quickly bring backuppc up on the offsite box, but doesn't contain
unnecessary incrementals or older fulls.  My offsite is about 1.8 TB, my local
is 2.6 TB.

I have scripts I can share.

--
Carl D Cravens (ccravens AT excelii DOT com), Ext 228 (620.327.1228)
Lead System Administrator