BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: not-expected? behaviour for \'BackupPC_tarCreate\' ?

2012-06-22 12:43:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: not-expected? behaviour for \'BackupPC_tarCreate\' ?
From: Julien ROLAND <jroland AT ccpg DOT fr>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:23:52 +0200
> Hi all, just a followup / footnote:
>
> I reviewed this a bit more today.
>
> - the most recent backup (generated last night) has same symptoms as
> previously described
> - definitely I am getting new backups generated each night
> - logs look "fairly OK" to my cursory review.
> - also to mention, this BackupPC host is backing up a number of
> different hosts.  The 'problem' host is the only windows system being
> backed up (via rsyncd); all other hosts are linux (also being backed
> up via rsyncd).  When I look in the web interface and browse backups
> for any of the other hosts - the 'fill behaviour' appears to be
> normal:appropriate.
>
> Certainly this 'problem host' seems to be quite consistent - it pulled
> ~1.8gb of data last night in 'fresh backed up files' and those - I can
> see fine. It just fails to 'fill' everything that wasn't in the latest
> backup.
>
> Also to be 'proper' - I did apt-get update and upgrade to bring the
> host up to date for patching. (Debian 6.0.2->6.0.5; backuppc also
> increased a minor rev number but still is not the absolute latest
> version from what I can tell).  This doesn't appear to have changed
> behaviour/symptoms in any way.
>
> If anyone has other thoughts on things to check // possible 'likely
> causes' -- pointers are appreciated!
>

> Tim

Hi
Just to say I was in the same case past week, with a new added windows
cilent backuped via smb.
Notice that i have several other windows clients that never had the
issue (backuped via rsyncd or smb)

The issue concerns tar files created by BackupPC_tarCreate script too
(with '-n -1' option) because this is how i met the issue as my
tarball contained only increment files, not full filled files.

As it was a newly added client, i fixed the issue by deleting all
backups for this host, and restarted from scratch (and also changing
smb method to rsyncd even if it's not smb related issue)

--
Julien