BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Multi-tenancy for web interface possible

2012-06-21 12:35:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Multi-tenancy for web interface possible
From: Chris Stone <axisml AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:33:32 -0600
Donny,

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
We have one central backuppc server that we have been using for some
years now. In our agency we actually have another IT group that
handles a small subset of users. That groups backup server has crashed
and we are looking at adding them to our backuppc server. However we
do not want them to have access to our hosts and they need their own
login. We would just setup another backuppc server for them but we
want to utilize the de-duplication characteristics of backuppc to the
maximum, hence sharing our server with them. Is this possible?

Sure you can - we do that here on 3 backup servers we run with BackupPC. Just add their login user names to the BackupPC hosts file for the hosts that login should have access to. For example, for the example hosts file:

host                    dhcp    user    moreUsers     # <--- do not edit this line
farside                0       craig   jill,jeff     # <--- example static IP host entry
farside2              0       craig

In this case, craig, jill and jeff would have access to the computer farside. No other users would have access to farside - nor would they even see that it's setup on the server. For farside2, only craig would have access - jill and jeff would not.

Chris

--
Chris Stone
AxisInternet, Inc.