BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Windows Client

2012-05-24 11:18:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Windows Client
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 01:17:19 +1000
On 21/05/12 22:58, Michael Stowe wrote:
> Yes -- a reboot will do it (of course) but so will placing a file called
> "wake.up" in the backuppc client directory.

Thanks, the wake.up file didn't help, but a reboot solved the problem.

I've now rolled this out across another three servers, and it has worked quite well. Thank you again.

I've also spent a lot of time today making it work on a remote windows XP Pro machine with the following notes (some you may like to think about, others are for my own and/or someone else's benefit).

1) In order for winexe to be able to talk to the machine, you will need to make file and printer sharing available. Since we are talking about the public internet, that isn't very sensible.
a) I installed openvpn on the backuppc server, and configured the router to port forward the port to backuppc (backuppc actually has a private IP on the LAN)
b) I installed openvpn on the windows XP client, configured and tested, and then set the service to automatic start, and to restart on failure
2) I configured the firewall to allow File/Printer Sharing (I set the scope to the subnet used by openvpn), or could disable the firewall on the openvpn interface, but I think windows nags you about the firewall being disabled.
3) I then tested, and winexe kept getting NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE, I needed to disable simple file sharing to resolve this
4) I added the client hostname to my /etc/hosts with the IP allocated by openvpn
5) I got a passing error message from the postusercmd.sh at one stage, and would suggest the following change:

if [ ! -z $xferOK ] && [ $xferOK-eq 1 ]; then
Basically, if xferOK is not set, then [ $xferOK-eq 1 ] generates an error (and does not match), with my change it will not generate an error, and will still not match.

I've now modified my auth.sh as follows:
#!/bin/bash
UNAME="Administrator"
PWD=""
WRKGRP=""

if [ -f "/etc/backuppc/scripts/hostauth/${1}.sh" ]
then
    . "/etc/backuppc/scripts/hostauth/${1}.sh"
fi

This allows me to set different username/password/workgroup for each client machine I'm going to backup. It also allows a default value.

I plan on rolling this out across a number of systems in the coming weeks. Will keep you updated on how things work out.

I originally though about using SSH to tunnel the rsync data and winexe, but selected openvpn for the following reasons:
a) openvpn has a simple installation program for every windows/mac and linux system I've come across (ie, doesn't need cygwin)
b) openvpn will tunnel all the misc ports required, so I don't need to mess with port forwarding in ssh
c) openvpn allows me to get access to the remote machine if I need to diagnose some issue with the backup/etc
d) openvpn will connect from each client to me, so I only need to setup the port forward on my router, instead of each individual remote systems router.
e) openvpn will provide a "static IP' without needing to deal with dynamic dns etc, since the client connects to me, and openvpn assigns a static IP

I hope that this will assist someone else, comments or suggestions are more than welcome... or if you do things differently and think it works better, please feel free to share.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev