BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] encrypted pc and pool directory

2012-05-18 12:23:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] encrypted pc and pool directory
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 11:21:34 -0500
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

> In my opinion, it would be nice to be able to move the selection of "share
> names" and file inclusion/exclusion to the client, along with instigating
> the actual backup.

Log into the web interface as the machine owner, make those changes,
start a backup.

> Also, to be able to get the client to say "Oh, this one
> file just changed, please add it to the backup"...

An incremental run should figure that out quickly.  Along with
catching other changes.

> This would allow a large number of disparate configurations (ie, backup as a
> service type users) to maintain their own list of files that get backed up.

That's why the user web interface exists.

> The main thing preventing backuppc from being used in this scenario is the
> lack of a "wizard" which runs on windows, and can be used to configure the
> backup. If a end user could download some software to run on their PC,
> configure the username/password allocated to them, configure the shares and
> files to include/exclude, and then "submit" that to the server. Finally, the
> client would need to keep some sort of "tunnel" open to the server so that
> the backups can be run through any firewall/etc. However, I think that this
> might almost never happen, for the following reasons:
> 1) People who want this don't know how to write the code (myself included)
> and those with the money tend to close source

Openvpn is free, pretty easy to set up and works cross-platform and
through NAT routers.   The linux side should be packaged for all the
distributions that have backuppc and there is an installer for
windows.