BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] encrypted pc and pool directory

2012-05-17 17:25:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] encrypted pc and pool directory
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 16:24:13 -0500
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
wrote:
> On 2012-05-17 21:38, Gerry George wrote:
>>   * Optionally, the data can (possibly) be encrypted BY THE CLIENT, and
>>     sent across as raw bits to be stored on the Rsync store.
>
> This will render the de-duplication features of BackupPC useless.

I do like the idea of an open source project with those features but
they don't mesh with backuppc at all.  And doing it as as service
you'd have to compete with these guys:
http://www.backblaze.com/
They've sort-of open-sourced their hardware design but not software.
http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/