BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Syntax error at /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/CGI/HostInfo.pm

2012-05-14 05:25:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Syntax error at /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/CGI/HostInfo.pm
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 11:24:01 +0200
Sent: den 14 maj 2012 10:41
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Syntax error at

On 14/05/12 17:42, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> S.5....T.    /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/CGI/HostInfo.pm
I think this here is the best pointer as to what the problem means.
Restore this from the original package or installation source, and then
see if you still have the issue.

Unless you modified it to try and debug this problem, in which case, it
looks like your hosts file is missing a newline. Perhaps it was modified
on a windows PC or similar. I would suggest you ensure it is a proper
unix text formatted file (I've used a command flip to help "flip -u
filename" will convert to unix format, no change if already correct).

Regards,
Adam

=================

Spot on, thanks!

I compared the HostInfo.pm files from one of the other BPC-servers I have and
just did an ctrl-a//ctrl-c/ctrl-v to the problematic BPC-server (after having
backed up the in-place file) and behold, now it works!

The older BPC was running BPC 3.2.0 while the new BPC was 3.2.1. (Was there
any changes made in HostInfo.pm between these versions?)

Further, I have not done any changes to the HostInfo.pm on the new BPC, so I
don't quite see why it would barf up like this... It has after worked like a
charm for several months. Weird.

I usually edit stuff from a Windows client using WinSCP and the built-in
editor there part of the time and vi in a putty-terminal the rest of the time.
Maybe vi is the preferred method in order to not get problems with GUI-editors
and newlines?

Thanks again Adam!
--
/Sorin