BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] snapshots of backuppc server?

2012-05-07 16:32:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] snapshots of backuppc server?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 22:31:23 +0200
Hi,

On 07.05.2012 21:52, Scott wrote:
> I was reading about tar snapshots of the backuppc server / data, or
> similar.   Where exactly can I do this?    For example, if I go to my
> backuppc web admin, how can I say "create a compressed tar export of the
> ALL the backup data"?

Add a new "host" and set the backup-method to "archive".

Or you BackupPC_tarCreate directly to write the tars you want. You can
even insert gpg and your preferred compression and indexing that way.

> I am ultimately looking for off-site, but if I can get a reasonably quick
> dump of all the files somehow, that would help.

Dumping off all the files would mean saving the whole pool/. That will
give you all files present in at least one of the backup-generations.
But that doesn't tell you in which backup and generation the file was
used. So you also have to dump pc/ but be sure to use a dumper that
knows about hard-links. Otherwise you get all files several times.
And when you have something that knows hard-links (like anything
rsync-based) and use it on a reasonable sized backup system, the dump
will take _very_ long.

Better write "tapes" via the tarCreate or (if the backup-tape is big
enough) just dump the whole fs from /var/lib/backuppc to tape. lvm and
snapshots are your friend for this.

Have fun,

Arnold
--
Dieses Email wurde elektronisch erstellt und ist ohne handschriftliche
Unterschrift gültig.