BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] snapshots of backuppc server?

2012-05-07 16:17:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] snapshots of backuppc server?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 15:16:19 -0500
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Scott <coolcoder AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I was reading about tar snapshots of the backuppc server / data, or similar.
>   Where exactly can I do this?    For example, if I go to my backuppc web
> admin, how can I say "create a compressed tar export of the ALL the backup
> data"?
>
> I am ultimately looking for off-site, but if I can get a reasonably quick
> dump of all the files somehow, that would help.
>
> Do I need to add the server (localhost) to the hosts list?

Depending on the size of your backuppc archive history it may not be
practical to do a file-oriented copy (like tar) of the whole thing.
You can use the 'archive host' functionality to define one or more
entries that will show up in your host list but that actually define a
storage output/location for tar archives of the latest backup of the
real hosts.   For example, you could configure an archive host to
write to a tape or an nfs-mounted directory.   But, that is mostly a
convenience to let you start the copies through the web interface.
If you are going to do it on a regular scheduled basis,  you should
probably just wrap your own script around BackupPC_tarCreate.

If you want to duplicate the whole archive with history, you should
probably wade through the mail list archives on the topic.  Some
people succeed with rsync for small systems, others end up doing some
sort of disk or partition image copy, and some just run another
instance of backuppc remotely.