BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 0 byte files

2012-03-03 22:41:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 0 byte files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: lists AT erikshreve DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 21:39:46 -0600
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Erik Shreve <lists AT erikshreve DOT com> wrote:

> On 03/03/2012 05:08 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Erik Shreve<lists AT erikshreve DOT com>
>>  wrote:
>>> I got a notice this morning that none of my machines had ever been
>>> backed up. It looks like backups stopped earlier this week and BackupPC
>>> could no longer see any of the older backups. However, checking the
>>> TopDir location showed plenty of files.
>>>
>>> I saw another post that suggested running BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary
>>> for the hosts. I did this and via the web interface I can now see the
>>> previous backups. However, when browsing those backups, if I click on a
>>> file I get a 0 byte file.
>>>

>>> Any tips on how to
>>> A) Verify the file data is actually still on the disk.
>>> B) Fix the links so that the file data is downloaded.
>>> C) Troubleshoot what happened to blow away the backups in the first place
>>
>> Could you have run out of disk space?   Backuppc won't start a backup
>> if your disk is over 95% (configurable) full, but depending on the
>> circumstances that might not have left enough room for it to complete.
>>

> Disk has plenty of space left. It is possible the disk was unavailable
> at some point, however. Yet not starting a backup shouldn't corrupt the
> information on the previous backups. And I would think an unfinished
> backup would also not corrupt previous backup data?

No, but if your disk is small, starting with 5% freel might not have
been enough to hold the results of a large target so you could have
new directory entries created with no space to write or to save the
attrib files.    Try going back to older versions in the archive
directory and see if the BackupPC_zcat command line tool can extract
the files.