BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt

2012-02-17 16:49:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:47:57 +0100
On Friday 17 February 2012 13:02:07 Steve Willoughby wrote:
> On 17-Feb-12 12:35, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Zach Lanich <zlanich AT gmail DOT com
> > <mailto:zlanich AT gmail DOT com>> wrote:
> >     How do I access my backuppc interface from outside the local
> >     network? I have a webserver set up through isp config and I can get
> >     to my website I built but isp gives me a 500 error when i try to
> >     access backuppc.
> >
> > The packaged apache config probably restricts access to the local host.
> > In the EPEL rpm that would be in /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf, but
> > the ubuntu version might be somewhere else.   If you can find it, change
> > it to allow from all and restart apache (if you are sure you want to do
> > that...).
>
> "If you are sure you want to do that..."
>
> Re-read Les' last sentence a few times and let it really sink in before
> going further with this.
>
> BackupPC has essentially root-level access to all your backed-up
> systems, and certainly has access to all their file data (and can
> restore back onto them, probably).
>
> Do you *really* feel confident that the way you log in to BackupPC over
> the web is secure?  Using only HTTPS?  Checking certificates properly?
> Even with that, you're 100% sure your webserver can't be compromised
> from the outside?
>
> If you really need this, perhaps a better thing to do would be to SSH in
> to the host and set up a tunnel over that SSH connection to reach your
> BackupPC server.

Even if your apache and perl/cgi and backuppc is save from any hacking, is the
rest of the system invincible too?
Do you really want to save your backups of crucial machines on hardware
physically controlled by someone else?

It is less of a problem when its data from servers in the same third-party-
operated datacenter. But when the data housed inside your business goes
outside for backups, you should really make sure all is save. And with
backuppc its not only the data itself, but also the access to the backed-up
machines.

Have fun,

Arnold