BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt

2012-02-17 16:42:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:28:51 -0500
Steve Willoughby <steve AT alchemy DOT com> wrote on 02/17/2012 04:02:07 PM:

> If you really need this, perhaps a better thing to do would be to SSH in
> to the host and set up a tunnel over that SSH connection to reach your
> BackupPC server.

I'll third this.  If you're asking this question, you probably do not have experience with Apache, and I would bet lots of money that you have *not* also set up HTTPS, properly-created certificates and the rest.  A public-facing server in that case is a *very* bad idea.

How many people need to access this server from outside the office?  A handful?  Use SSH tunnelling.  If you're Windows-only and not familiar with this:  http://oldsite.precedence.co.uk/nc/putty.html

Then, all you have to do is port-forward 22 to your BackupPC server (or use another port, if you wanted), and then use PuTTY to tunnel.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com