BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt

2012-02-17 16:03:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote Mgmt
From: Steve Willoughby <steve AT alchemy DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:02:07 -0800
On 17-Feb-12 12:35, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Zach Lanich <zlanich AT gmail DOT com
> <mailto:zlanich AT gmail DOT com>> wrote:
>     How do I access my backuppc interface from outside the local
>     network? I have a webserver set up through isp config and I can get
>     to my website I built but isp gives me a 500 error when i try to
>     access backuppc.
>

> The packaged apache config probably restricts access to the local host.
> In the EPEL rpm that would be in /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf, but
> the ubuntu version might be somewhere else.   If you can find it, change
> it to allow from all and restart apache (if you are sure you want to do
> that...).

"If you are sure you want to do that..."

Re-read Les' last sentence a few times and let it really sink in before
going further with this.

BackupPC has essentially root-level access to all your backed-up
systems, and certainly has access to all their file data (and can
restore back onto them, probably).

Do you *really* feel confident that the way you log in to BackupPC over
the web is secure?  Using only HTTPS?  Checking certificates properly?
Even with that, you're 100% sure your webserver can't be compromised
from the outside?

If you really need this, perhaps a better thing to do would be to SSH in
to the host and set up a tunnel over that SSH connection to reach your
BackupPC server.

--
Steve Willoughby / steve AT alchemy DOT com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."