BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backuppc is Hammering My Clients

2012-01-31 18:50:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc is Hammering My Clients
From: Kimball Larsen <quangdog AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:25:22 -0700
We are a small office (6 employees) with a mixture of windows and mac machines
sitting on desks.  I have set up a server (Ubuntu linux) that has been happily
running backuppc for several years handling backups for all the machines in the
office with grace AND style.  We love it.

However, in the last few months some of the users have noticed that when
backuppc is running a backup (incremental or full - does not seem to matter
which) it can have a serious impact to the performance of their local machine.
Stuff comes to a crawl and they are nearly unable to work because simple things
like switching from one application to another starts to take several seconds,
etc.  The machine behaves like it is hammering swap space and thrashing for
memory.  At least one user reports this goes on for several hours (and I
confirmed that his latest incremental took 119 minutes to complete).

All the machines affected in this way are wired to the gigabit network (not
wireless), and I'm using rsync for the transfer method.  The users with the
complaints are all using OS X on late model high-end MacBook Pro laptops.

Is there anything I can to to have the backups run in a more transparent
manner?  We are not all that concerned with speed of backup process - we're all
here all day anyway, so as long as everyone gets a backup at least once a day
we're happy.

I have set up backuppc to only run 1 concurrent backup - should I change this
to a larger number, making the server work harder and hopefully easing up on my
clients a bit?

Thanks!

-- Kimball