BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] offsite storage via laptops?

2012-01-31 19:06:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] offsite storage via laptops?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 01:04:56 +0100
On Tuesday 31 January 2012 18:22:29 Joe Konecny wrote:
> On 1/31/2012 6:07 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Replace that "password protected" by "gpg encrypted" and you get a good
> > idea. A very good idea is when the private key is only on a secure
> > machine in the admins possesion (and on an encrypted stick at the
> > bosses home), only the public key is needed to encrypt the backup. Then
> > the decryption can only be done with the private key. And onced you had
> > to use that for a restore, you generate (and use!) a new key-pair for
> > the new backups.
>
> Yes security will be addressed.  But idea of transporting the archive
> offsite with a laptop
> that goes home each day is good I think.

Taking the "tape" home is basically your off-site-storage. So, yes, thats a
very good idea. Our customers are told to do the same with their tapes (some
even follow this advice).

But if its your responsibility to care for the security, better not rely on
protection with a simple password. And anything below 100bytes/characters
counts as insecure.
So do the only sensible thing and use gpg or ssl certificates to encrypt the
"tapes" you sent off-site via laptops. And do the same when you sent them
offsite via tape or usb-stick.

Have fun,

Arnold