BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre connection failures

2012-01-31 12:38:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre connection failures
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:26:07 -0500
haruspex <princeps.candidus AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 01/31/2012 10:59:12 AM:

> Hello.
>
> “rsync target::” works just fine:
> vm-backuppc# /usr/local/bin/rsync 192.168.0.118::
> docs              Documents and Settings
> dDrive            Entire D Drive
>
> The logs don't provide anything more specific than “Backup failed on
> <HostName> (inet connect: Operation timed out)”. I guess the problem
> is somewhere with how BackupPC handles the sockets or nearby, judging
> by results of “grep -r "inet connect" *”...

Ah, but what you're testing and what BackupPC does are different.

In your test, you used the IP address.  BackupPC uses the name of the host and tries to resolve it.  Can you do:

        rsync HostToTest::

(or whatever) and get a list of shares?  If, so, great:  it's something with BackupPC.  If *not*, then it's a problem with name resolution.

From personal experience, I've found that it's infinitely easier and more reliable to simply fix the IP address of computers that will be backed up by BackupPC (either by assigning them a fixed IP  or (preferred) having the DHCP server give them the same IP every time), and using /etc/hosts on the BackupPC machine (or even better:  internal DNS) to resolve the name to the fixed IP.

There have been too many problems with dynamic IP's, especially with NetBIOS name resolution, for my taste.  If you're going to invest time and effort into solving this problem, I would suggest putting that time into a Dynamic IP/DNS solution.  (That's one of the few things I like about Active Directory...)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com