BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre connection failures

2012-01-31 10:45:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre connection failures
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:44:06 -0600
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:29 AM, haruspex <princeps.candidus AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> I have installed BackupPC 3.2.1 on a FreeBSD server to back several
> Windows workstations up. The Xfer method is rsyncd. Some of them
> workstations work fine, but three display strange behaviour:
>
> 1) One gives “inet connect: Connection refused” though “telnet <IP>
> 873” from the very same FreeBSD server works just time. BackupPC
> managed to make a successful backup of one share (of two) on this
> computer once. Not sure what was different.
>
> 2) One gives “no ping”, then, after making $PingCmd for it empty,
> “inet connect: Operation timed out”. telnet is successful as well
> here; “nmblookup <name>” or “ping -c 1 <IP>” don't show any problems
> when run from shell either.
>
> 3) The only Windows 7 box (the others are XP). Just plain “inet
> connect: Operation timed out”, can't connect from any other computer
> as well.
>
> To sum up, I have two problems: BackupPC not connecting while
> everybody else can, and rsyncd not working properly on Windows 7.
>
> Any help will be strongly appreciated. The bizarre BackupPC failures
> are making me question my sanity.

Recent windows versions have a firewall on by default that needs to be
configured to allow inbound connections.   One way to test basic
connectivity with rsynd is to run 'rsync target::'  or 'rsync
target::module' from the backuppc server.  Note the double colons that
distinguish a connection to rsyncd as opposed to running over ssh, and
that if you don't specify a destination in the command you should get
a directory listing.   Not sure what to check on the one that works on
some of the shares - see if the logs show anything specific and look
for any possible network issues.