BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] ftp Xfer mode error: "can't retrieve remote directory contents of :"

2012-01-22 04:21:31
Subject: [BackupPC-users] ftp Xfer mode error: "can't retrieve remote directory contents of :"
From: Michael Stepner <michaelstepner AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 04:19:38 -0500
Hello,

I'm having an issue with both of my ftp xfer hosts.  I'm using BackupPC 3.2.1.  Both FTP servers are running Filezilla Server on Windows systems, and are perfectly accessible using gFTP as my ftp client.

The backup starts, but then terminates within a few seconds.

LOG file:

2012-01-22 04:00:02 Full backup of foo.hopto.org failed
2012-01-22 04:00:07 Backup aborted (0)

XferLOG:

ftp full backup for host foo.hopto.org started on directory /
remotels: can't retrieve remote directory contents of :
handleDir failed: can't retrieve remote directory contents of :
 fail       0       -/-           0
Full backup of foo.hopto.org failed
Backup aborted (0)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

host.pl:

$Conf{XferMethod} = 'ftp';
$Conf{FtpUserName} = 'foobar';
$Conf{FtpPasswd} = 'foobar';
$Conf{FtpPassive} = 1;
$Conf{FtpShareName} = '/';

$Conf{PingPath} = '/etc/backuppc/checkftp.sh';
$Conf{PingCmd} = '$pingPath $host';

As I said above, this happens for both of my two ftp xfer hosts.  They both have an almost identical configuration, in terms of the files they're sharing, the FTP server software & configuration, and the BackupPC configuration.

An aside: checkftp.sh is just a short script which runs nmap to "ping" the port 21 on the ftp server. I assume this isn't relevant, since the pinging is running successfully.

An one odd thing is that one of these hosts backed up just fine a few days ago when I set it up, but it no longer works.  I realized this just an hour ago, as I tried to add the second ftp xfer host.

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Michael