BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] moving per-pc log files

2012-01-20 10:25:48
Subject: [BackupPC-users] moving per-pc log files
From: Till Hofmann <hofmanntill AT googlemail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 16:23:56 +0100
Hello everybody,

since my backup partition is on a RAID5 which doesn't do anything but keeping my backups, I want the hard drives to automatically spin down (standby) when there is nothing to do.
It's working properly, I only have one problem: backuppc writes to the per-pc log file in $topdir/pc/$host/LOG.**** every times it wakes up and tries to ping (or nmblookup) that host.
It does nothing but writing one line in the log file that it couldn't reach the host.

As I'm trying to save energy and protect my hard drives from too many spin downs/spin ups, I want to prevent these unnecessary spin ups. I already moved the general log file to a different hard drive, but there is no option to move the per-pc log file (or I haven't found it).

My question: Is there a way to
1) either move the per-pc log file (just like the general log file)?
2) or prevent backuppc from logging that it couldn't reach the host?

I already tried to cache the log file, without success. if you know a way to do this (without caching everything which is not what I want with a RAID5) that would solve the problem, too.

My system:
Debian stable (2.6.32-5)
backuppc version 3.1.0
mount options: ext4 data="">