BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses

2012-01-16 19:44:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:43:13 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote at about 17:57:27 -0600 on Monday, January 16, 2012:
 > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky
 > <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
 >
 > >  > 1) Use a better (real) Firewall
 > >  >
 > >  > That would be, by *FAR*, the best solution.  Other solutions:
 > >  >
 > >  > 2) Use a better (real) DNS server with client-update capabilities (See
 > > #1)
 > >  > 3) Use a better (real) DHCP server (See #1)
 > >
 > > You certainly have a good point in theory and that would be the
 > > correct approach for a larger/more formal network. But for me, it's
 > > just a simple home network... I really don't want to start adding a
 > > new/separate firewall and/or DNS and/or DHCP layer just to get
 > > BackupPC to run when everything runs just fine using my
 > > Verizon-provided router as router/firewall/gateway/dns/dhcp etc. (I do
 > > have a software firewall also on each machine).
 >
 > Have you checked all the capabilities?  Lots of consumer routers have
 > local DNS service with update capability - or at least the ability to
 > specify a name with the IP for DHCP.

I believe this is what I was talking about - static DHCP.
However, it only allows one IP address per name and one MAC address
per name.

 > Also, do you plug the laptop in regularly anywhere else?  Maybe you
 > could do a static assignment on the wired port but don't activate it
 > anywhere else - and then keep the DCHP assignment for the wifi
 > side.

True - but I would like the backups to 'just' work whether using the
wired or wireless ports. For now, I have the static assignment set for
the wireless NIC since that is what people used most... but sometimes
you actually prefer to use the wired NIC, especially for backup, since
the link speed is faster.

 > >  > 4) Use NetBIOS name resolution.  (This merely lets you substitute a
 > >  > completely *different* and hopefully less broken name server
 > >  > infrastructure.  See #1...  :) )
 > >
 > > Same reasoning as above... And I really would like to avoid NetBIOS
 > > since I don't even have it running on my Linux machines...
 >
 > You could probably run nmbd without smbd.  Nothing would depend on it
 > except fallback name resolution.

I will look into this. I'm not very familiar with nmbd/smbd except for
use with Samba - but not with name resolution...

 > >>  > 6) Create a tool to merge the backups of one host into the other...  ;)
 > >  >
 > >
 > > Well, I appreciate your confidence, but that would be a real PITA.
 > > That being said, I do at some point intent plan on writing just such a
 > > utility that a more general level allows for the merging of two
 > > different pools... but I haven't had the time
 >
 > Wonder what would happen if you symlinked two pc names.  I don't think
 > I want to find out on my system, but...

Good thought - exactly what I detailed in my other follow up email.

 > > Again, if I were running a large network or a production server, I
 > > would totally agree with you.
 > >
 > > But it might just be simpler, easier, and cleaner for me to hack the
 > > BackupPC code so that if one host ip name/number then it tries
 > > another...
 >
 > One other approach that would work would be to set up a VPN between
 > the backuppc server and targets using OpenVPN or something similar.
 > Normally you'd only need that to poke through firewalls or route
 > between private networks, but you can end up with a known IP at the
 > tunnel interface regardless of the networks/interfaces the packets
 > carrying the tunnel traverse.

Interesting thought but probably overkill, especially since the
laptops are pretty slow...