BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses

2012-01-16 17:38:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:26:43 -0500
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 01/16/2012 05:00:45 PM:

> The problem is that my new Verizon router does not allow the same IP
> address to be correlated with different MAC addresses.
>
> So now it seems that I can only match the laptop name (used by
> BackupPC) against only one of the IP addresses so that it will only
> get backed up on one of the two interfaces?
>
> Is there any simple way to overcome this problem?

You could:

1) Use a better (real) Firewall

That would be, by *FAR*, the best solution.  Other solutions:

2) Use a better (real) DNS server with client-update capabilities (See #1)
3) Use a better (real) DHCP server (See #1)

These are really just more specific details embodied by #1.  Now that I've beat that dead horse...

4) Use NetBIOS name resolution.  (This merely lets you substitute a completely *different* and hopefully less broken name server infrastructure.  See #1...  :) )

> For example would it be possible to match 2 IP/names addresses against
> the same host backup so that if one fails then it tries the other?
> (this is in a sense the opposite of ClientNameAlias that allows you to
> map multiple hosts to one IP address)

Why fix an IP routing/name resolution issue at the BackupPC level?  Fix it where the problem is, rather than paper over it.  While 'another layer of indirection can fix anything' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirection , second paragraph), it doesn't mean that it *should*!  :)  If you want to go that way, there's always

5) Create two BackupPC hosts, one for each of the IP addresses your Verizon DHCP server will be assigning to the client...

And then, knowing your ability to create great little Perl utilities to manipulate the BackupPC pool:

6) Create a tool to merge the backups of one host into the other...  ;)

Tim Massey

P.S.:  In case it doesn't come across in text:  I give you honest, serious, mad props for your Perl code that manipulates the pool, though I personally am very reluctant to use them.  However, I still think you need to fix this problem where the problem actually *is*, rather than paper over it with BackupPC mangling.
T.J.M.

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com