BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses

2012-01-16 17:02:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Laptops with multiple ethernet cards/MAC addresses
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:00:45 -0500
The laptops I back up have both a wired and wireless Ethernet
connection with (different) MAC addresses.

I use static DNS so that when the laptops are attached at home they
are given a fixed (known) IP address so that BackupPC can find them
using my /etc/hosts file.

On my old D-Link router, I used to assign the same static DNS address
to both MAC addresses so that no matter which connection was used, I
had the same fixed IP address.

The problem is that my new Verizon router does not allow the same IP
address to be correlated with different MAC addresses.

So now it seems that I can only match the laptop name (used by
BackupPC) against only one of the IP addresses so that it will only
get backed up on one of the two interfaces?

Is there any simple way to overcome this problem?

For example would it be possible to match 2 IP/names addresses against
the same host backup so that if one fails then it tries the other?
(this is in a sense the opposite of ClientNameAlias that allows you to
map multiple hosts to one IP address)