BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] tar is needed, but deleted files not needed

2012-01-07 15:27:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] tar is needed, but deleted files not needed
From: Daniel <dandadude AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 21:25:02 +0100
Hi Les!

Thank you for the input.

Well all I see is that incremental backup with rsync can take 3 hours for 750 MB (30 mbit/sec bandwidth, strong computers), which is absolutely crazy. With tar this is 5 minutes at max.
So you can see my concerns :-( And I have a server where the full backup took about 72 hours.

I wanted the backuppc machine (with 6 TB HDD) to be able to backup all my servers (there are many), but if backing up of 1 server can take days with incremental, then this is not a solution.
Seperation is possible, I had many shares for rsync to handle, but there are some where the seperation would be a real pain in the *ss, for instance /home etc.

On the other hand, tar would have been really nice, but the deleted files problem makes it almost useless for my intentions.

I am really sad about this, because the software is really cool, I like the web interface, I like the command line scripts, I like everything.
Only this deletion problem... This should be top priority, and should already be in the software :-) (I mean I know it is open source etc and that I did not develop it, but it's a feature I think many of us would like and that would really make it
a much heavier software for the whole world.

The truth is that I have been experimenting with many backup solutions in the past, and they are either very complicated to handle (bacula), or aren't reliable. BackupPC was the numero uno, until I discovered this. It can even work together with autoloaders,
there are scripts on the net for this, so it would have been real neat.

I will have to use dar, which is a solution that never let me down, but needs a BackupPC-like interface too :-)
It uses catalogs, thus incrementals are real fast, everything is nice with it, just it's a bit more time consuming to set up nicely and in my case, needs software on client and server side.

Thanks for taking the time, I will be watching BackupPC features in the future, I hope it will handle this tar problem soon :-)

Regards,
Daniel