BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] tar is needed, but deleted files not needed

2012-01-06 13:21:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] tar is needed, but deleted files not needed
From: Daniel <dandadude AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 19:19:41 +0100
Hi!

I have started using backuppc at first with rsync, but backing up servers with millions of small files took very much time (days). This would be normal, but the incremental backups took almost the same time, which is not normal.

I have then read that I should use tar as backup method, because the incremental backups will be much faster. I have tested this and it is true, much-much-much faster!!!
I have then realized that tar does not store deleted file information in the incremental backups which is a real pain in the *ss, because when my clients ask me to restore a state, they will surely hate me if I restore the deleted files too.

Am I right that there is no way to keep track of deleted files?

If yes, aren't there somekind of alternative ways? For instance a directory tree pre-script that uses catalogs? :-)
The best would be if backuppc+tar could use catalog files or something.
Or if backuppc would be able to utilize dar as a backup solution, now that would really be nice, because dar uses catalogs.

Please comment on my problem!

Thanks you,
Daniel