BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup Windows clients behind router (long)

2011-11-23 05:45:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup Windows clients behind router (long)
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:43:16 +0100
Hi all,

I can't figure this one out. I apologize if the question is off-topic.

The thread on
<<http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg06474.html>>
is somewhat helpful.

Situation:
==========
We have a bunch of old instrument computers running Windows NT 4.0, Windows
2000 Professional and Windows XP SP3, where the two former system types are
not allowed to be on the university's public network anymore, but still need
to be backed up every now and then, because they all acquire LOTS of
instrument data.

The instrument computers all run Deltacopy, with the default rsyncd listening
port 873.

A simple Netgear router with an built-in switch solved our problem with having
the instrument computers and networked printers accessible to each other in a
simple mini-intranet, while still being hidden from the world and yet have
access to the internet. The router has a public IP set on the WAN side.

The router has so far been set up with a port forwarding rule to pass any
calls to port 873 to *one* computer on the intranet. I also added a few other
port forwarding rules for Deltacopy to the other instrument computer, ie
10873, 11873 etc.

Running nmap -p on the opened ports, incl 873, shows they're visible on the
WAN side.

The Problem:
============
BPC only backups the first computer, ie the one with port forwarding rule 873
set in the router.

The router allows only one port forwarding rule per intranet IP, that is to
say, I can only add say 192.168.1.100 and have port 873 forwarded to this IP.
If I add 192.168.200, this IP can't have the same port 873 forwarded to it.

I figured I could change the listening port of Deltacopy on the other
instrument computers to something different, but BackupPC won't allow me to
add five or so hosts (remember, the router only has one IP on the WAN side,
which is all BPC sees), all with the same FQDN in BPC's host list, but with
different rsynd client ports.

On the above url, the bit "Next configure your router to send all requests on
port 873 to machine A. Similarly, requests on port 1873 should be sent to
machine B, and port 2873 requests go to machine C.", is basically what I tried
but can't do.

Further, I can't exchange the router to something a little more advanced
hopefully allowing me to do the above, as the router is part of an instrument
setup and thus a required part of the system.

Guys, I'm totally stumped. Would you have any clever ideas on how to proceed
here?

Thanks.

LCMS-team; FYI.

--
BW,
        Sorin
# Sorin Srbu            [Sysadmin, Systems Engineer]
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,        Mobile: +46 (0)70-4250229
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#                       Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# This message was not sent from an iProduct!
#
# MotD follows:
# Live dangerously, overclock your servers!