BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclusion not working with rsync

2011-11-18 09:25:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclusion not working with rsync
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Alex Machina <amachina AT cavtel DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 15:22:32 +0100
Hi,

Alex Machina wrote on 2011-11-17 20:51:46 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclusion
not working with rsync]:
> Why bother with:
>
> > $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {>  '/home' => [>        '/steve/Packages'>
> >  ]> };
> Why not just:
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/home/steve/Packages']

because the former works while the latter doesn't :).

I'm not sure whether you are suggesting a change to BackupPC to strip out
share names from in-/excludes. If you are, I'm not sure I agree that that
would even be a good idea. In any case, it would be complicated to implement
and require exact knowledge of in-/exclude syntax for the XferMethod within
BackupPC.

> i..e, prefix is not required with rsync (only smb).

You're probably trying to say that the original poster should be using
RsyncShareName = '/' instead of whatever he is currently using. I don't really
feel like getting into religious wars over configuration practices, so I'll
just hint at the consequences of *changing* the backup layout (like
retransferring all data, not to mention the topic of restoring data from
before the change). My personal recommendation is: use whatever you feel
comfortable with and what works for you.

Regards,
Holger