BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Tar exited with error 65280 () status

2011-11-11 17:49:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Tar exited with error 65280 () status
From: mminar7 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:31:06 -0800
I have had also long time problem to solve same issue when I tried to backup a
remote node with Xfer method (command TAR).

full backup started for directory /
Xfer PIDs are now 9123,9122
Tar exited with error 65280 () status
tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal

I made the same error with ssh and tar like you.  Main issue wast that backup
command was started from daemon and tty was not set.
But ssh command needs tty, because ssh command needs accept password and
questions about remote known host.

There should be fixed three issues:

1. run the command ssh with setting TTY
2. automatic answer for ssh question about password
3. skip question about known host

How to do this?

1. install on the client node backuppc software
2. update visudo with line:
backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/tar
3. install on client node package sshpass - noninteractive ssh password provider
4. modify Xfer tar command:

$Conf{TarClientCmd} = '/usr/bin/sshpass -p <passw> $sshPath -x -tt -n -o
StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l backuppc $host env LC_ALL=C sudo $tarPath -c -v -f
- -C $shareName+  --totals';

the sshpass command remembers the password and when ssh command ask for
password sshpass sets it.
-o StricktHostKeyChecking=no skips the questions about known host.
-tt selector in ssh  which forces tty allocation, but it is not necessary
-v selector in ssh, if you want to see debug info

Good Luck

 [Wink]