BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and excluding ip ranges?

2011-11-10 16:28:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc and excluding ip ranges?
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:24:47 +0100
On Thursday 10 November 2011 21:56:39 SSzretter wrote:
> I am wondering if it's possible already, or how difficult it might be to
> change the code for backuppc to allow it to skip a machine if it is not in
> a certain subnet mask.
>
> In my network, I have multiple sites.   Some of the sites have slow T1
> connections between them, so I have backuppc servers at them to back up
> directly on the LAN.
>
> This works great, but some of the machines (windows) are laptops, and
> people sometimes bring the laptop to another location.
>
> All these locations are tied together, so backuppc can still see (ping) the
> laptop even though it's in another building.
>
> The only real difference is that machine will pick up a dhcp address for
> that building.   The address will be in a different subnet, for example,
>  192.168.2.x instead of 192.168.1.x.
>
> It would be great if a flag could be set to tell backuppc to only backup a
> machine if it is in a specific subnet range (192.168.2.x) and to skip it if
> not.
>
> Is this already possible, or where might a change be made in the code for
> something like that?

Three things I immediately think about:
 - Don't use hostnames, use IP-addresses. If you still want the names in the
config (and/or don't move the existing directories), set the ip in the
ClientNameAlias.
 - If the ping to the remote sites is longer then the local ping, reduce the
PingMaxMsec for these hosts.
 - Replace the call to ping for these host with a command involving the
correct ip instead of $host.

Have fun,

Arnold