BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File

2011-09-28 14:24:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:22:04 +0200
On Wednesday 28 September 2011 17:23:17 Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de> wrote on 09/28/2011 11:20:57 AM:
> > Using find you will realize that its rather slow and has your disk
> rattling
> > away. Better to use the indexing services, for example locate:
> >
> > locate <string_to_search>
>
> Yeah, that's great if you update the locate database (as you mention).  On
> a backup server, with millions of files and lots of work to do pretty much
> around the clock?  That's one of the first things I disable!  So no
> locate.

You could limit locate to the paths you want to be indexed. Or you could
exclude the (c)pool of backuppc and still get the information.
And adding some minutes of updatedb indexing the filesystem-tree (its not even
indexing the contents) to BackupPC-nightly shouldn't hurt that much.

Have fun,

Arnold