BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of dual-boot laptop

2011-09-28 14:27:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of dual-boot laptop
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:26:25 +0200
On Wednesday 28 September 2011 18:59:38 Tim Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 17:30 +0200, Dan Johansson wrote:
> > I have a laptop that is dual-boot (Linux and WinXP) and gets the same IP
> > from DHCP in both OS's. Today I have two entries in BackupPC for this
> > laptop (hostname_lnx and hostname_win) with different backup methods for
> > each (rsync over ssh for Linux and SMB for WinXP). This works good for
> > me with one small exception - I always gets a "Backup-Failed" message
> > for one of them each night.
> > Does someone have a suggestion on how to solve this in a more "beautiful"
> > way?
> Write a ping script that finds out is the laptop is in Windows or Linux
> so one of the other of the backup hosts won't ping.

Yep, detecting the os with nmap should work. Or if you are not using dhcp or
only for one of them, you could distinguish by ip-address.

> You can also make use of the fact that most desktop distros have avahi
> installed and use <short hostname>.local as a target host name.

That will work until you install bonjour for windows (which is very nice in
networks relying on zeroconf).

Using the same archive-method for both would involve either mingw with stuff on
the windows-machine or exporting / as C$ in samba. But still you will have
different paths inside these shares which results in files and paths only
present every other day.
Better to use two different backup-"hosts" for the two os'es.

Have fun,

Arnold